Monday, October 20, 2008

Vegan MoFo #20: Tofu Omelet


Again with the brunch food! I actually made this last weekend, but never got around to typing up the stained, scribbled notes I took while cooking, which is why you're getting a Sunday brunch post on a Monday. And what's wrong with that, I'd like to know? Anyway, when it comes to omelets, I was never as big a fan of the eggs as of the fillings, and I have particularly fond memories of the western omelets my dad would sometimes whip up when I came in late at night as a semi-debauched teenager. I've looked at lots of recipes, but never had the courage to try a tofu omelet myself until recently. One piece of advice I will offer is to be patient, because this could take awhile if you don't want it to fall apart on its way out of the pan (which you presumably don't, or you'd just make tofu scramble and be done with it), and a nonstick skillet is a Big Help. I used what was on hand in the crisper for the filling, but one of these times I am definitely going to saddle up my culinary steed and tilt at the quixotic windmill that is dad's Western Omelet; watch this space!

The Filling:(Make this first!)
Ingredients:
~ 1 tbsp. oil
~ 1 tbsp. minced garlic
~ 1/2 cup chopped onion
~ 1/2 cup diced bell pepper
~ 1 cup sliced mushrooms
~ 1 ripe tomato, chopped
~ 1 tsp each: salt, tarragon, basil
~ Fresh black pepper

Directions:
~ Saute the garlic and onions over medium heat about minutes, then add the bell pepper, mushrooms, tomato and seasonings.
~ Continue cooking until the vegetables are cooked but still have some texture, about 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.

The Omelet:
Ingredients:
~ 1 lb. extra-firm silken tofu
~ 1/4 cup plain soymilk
~ 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
~ 2 tbsp. cornstarch
~ 2 tbsp. tahini
~ 1 tsp. each: salt, thyme, paprika
~ 1/2 tsp. turmeric

Directions:
~ In a blender or food processor, combine all ingredients and blend until smooth; it should have a consistency similar to pancake batter.
~ Coat a large non-stick skillet with cooking spray and place over medium-high heat. When it's good and hot, pour the batter in and let it spread out across the pan.
~ Reduce the heat to low and cover. Cook for 5-10 minutes, checking frequently. As the edges get firm, you can gently lift them with a spatula and tilt the pan ever so slightly, so the batter will run down the sides (remember doing this with eggs?).
~ When the omelet is set, spoon the filling onto one side, trying not to get it too close to the edges. Carefully loosen the omelet by sliding the spatula under it from each direction, and then fold one side over the other.
~ Remove from heat and carefully lift or slide it onto a serving platter.
~ This is pretty filling, and will serve 2-4 hungry people, depending on what you're having on the side. We had it with roasted potatoes, toast, ketchup and hot sauce, which meant we got two separate meals out of it, but that's just us.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds awesome - Last time I tried the omlette I didn't have patience and we ended up with the scrambled tofu for dessert... I will have to try it again now with this recipe.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. mm.. that seems quite doable.. I may have to be inspired to action as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really is easily doable; as I said in the post, just be patient, because it's going to take awhile to set up like a "real" omelet. I'm definitely going to do it again, probably with spinach or summat next time.

    ReplyDelete