Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Sesame-Citrus Broccoli Salad


This salad is adapted from a recipe in one of my favorite new cookbooks, Bryant Terry's awesome Vegan Soul Kitchen. I say "adapted" because, as noted in previous posts, I seem incapable of following any recipe to the letter and am compelled to tinker (except with baked goods, because that's like science, which frightens and confuses me). In this case, it occurred to me that sesame oil and a little heat might add some Asian flair and make things more interesting; I made a vat as part of the ginormous spread my boys and I put on for their Nana's 80th (!) birthday party, where it was received--and eaten--with enthusiasm, so I hereby pronounce it a success. Please note that this makes enough for a party, so go ahead and halve it if you want a more "normal" quantity. (Also note the trippy Broccoli Universe above...I mean, WHOA!)

Sesame-Citrus Broccoli Salad

Ingredients:
~ 2 heads broccoli, florets separated, stalks peeled and sliced thinly
~ Juice from 1 lemon, 1 lime, and 1 orange
~ 2 tsp. coarse sea salt
~ A few grinds black pepper
~ 1 heaping tbsp. minced garlic
~ 1 tbsp. sugar
~ 1 tbsp. dried basil
~ 1/4 cup toasted sesame oil
~ 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
~ 1 tsp. hot chili oil, or a shot of hot sauce (optional)

Directions:
~ Steam the broccoli 3-5 minutes, until just bright green. Rinse immediately with cold water and set aside.
~ In a bowl or beaker, combine all remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.
~ Transfer the drained, cooled broccoli to a large bowl and pour the dressing over it. Mix (use your hands; it's more fun and ensures the dressing coats everything) until all the broccoli is coated.
~ Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour; the longer it sits, the better it will taste. (Wasn't that easy?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment