Monday, November 1, 2010

Welcome to Vegan MoFo 4.0! And now, a few important words about turkeys...



Since this year's month-long celebration of vegan food blogging occurs in November, and American Thanksgiving is coming up on the 25th, I thought I'd kick things off with some thoughts about turkeys. Looking back on the last year, and thinking about the importance of being thankful for what we have without taking things away from others (like their lives), I realized that I'd pretty much covered what I wanted to say in last year's turkey-centric PSA. So I hereby present to you the first ever Elizavegan encore, albeit slightly edited. I'll be back with a recipe in my next post, but in the meantime, do follow the link below, and consider sponsoring a new feathered friend, if you haven't done so already.

As the leaves turn orange, the air gets cooler and the holidays approach, lots of people start thinking about turkeys, and we are no exception: we love them! A couple of years ago, on the day before Thanksgiving, my son and I were driving down a wooded country road when we encountered a line of seven turkeys crossing in an admirably calm, orderly fashion. We stopped to let them pass, as did the car coming in the opposite direction; the other driver and I exchanged broad, delighted smiles as we watched their slow, stately progress. After all seven were safely in the woods, I drove off thinking how happy and grateful I am to be vegan, and hoping that, if that woman was not already a fellow herbivore, she might think more carefully about what (or indeed who) she put on her dinner plate the next day.

With this year's round of festive occasions - and meals - practically on our doorstep, it's disturbing to think about all the animals who suffer so needlessly to fulfill people's skewed notions of what constitutes a "celebration." Each year, we gird our loins for the inevitable onslaught of moronic advertising, masturbatory foodie rhetoric and ham-handed (you should excuse the expression) "jokes" about Tofurky, People Eating Tasty Animals, etc. But. Last autumn, a post by Susan at Fatfree Vegan Kitchen, inspired us to do something positive by participating in Farm Sanctuary's Adopt-A-Turkey Project. For a mere $30 (probably about the same price as one of those wretched, pathetic carcasses filling the freezers of the local grocery stores), you can sponsor a single turkey, or even adopt a whole flock for $180. So go ahead, adopt a turkey; you know you've always wanted to!

And to learn more about/be amazed by the awesome scope of this year's Vegan MoFo - over 500 bloggers at last count! - click here.

1 comment:

  1. I love love love the adopt a turkey option. We've been doing it for a while and it makes me feel so good to know that I'm counter acting (even in a small way!) the damage.

    ReplyDelete