Saturday, September 20, 2014

Leftover "Meat" Pie

When I made The Eat Less Meat Book's Lentil Roast a few nights ago, I was impressed by its "sausageyness," a quality that was even more pronounced the next day, after the leftovers had been refrigerated. In fact, it was so spookily like the filling of those cold pork pies my mother used to love that I immediately decided to put the leftovers into a pie crust and see what happened.

Since I was working with half a "roast" that had already been baked, I had to bash it up a bit and add a splash of broth, but if you make the mixture (I suggest halving it, unless you want two pies) and add it to the skillet after cooking the other ingredients listed below, you can simply proceed from there. This is a very filling pie, so a slice is plenty, which means it could easily serve for a couple of dinners.

While this isn't technically a World War One recipe, I'm including it here because 1. meat pies were a popular dish in England, then as now, and 2. using up and repurposing leftovers was standard operating procedure at a time when supplies were limited and wasting food was presented as both a sin and a crime. So eat up: I want to see those plates clean!

Leftover "Meat" Pie
Ingredients
~ 1 tbsp. oil (I used canola)
~ 1 large carrot, diced
~ 1 large stalk celery, diced
~ 1 cup chopped mushrooms
~ 1 tbsp. vegan Worcestershire sauce
~ 1 tsp. Marmite
~ 1/2 recipe Lentil Roast
~ Pastry for a single crust pie

Directions
~ Preheat the oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit.
~ In a large skillet, saute the carrots and celery over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
~ Add the mushrooms and continue cooking about 7-10 minutes more, until the vegetables are soft.
~ Mix in the Worcestershire Sauce, Marmite, and lentil roast mixture and combine thoroughly.
~ Spoon the filling into the pie crust and smooth with a spatula, making sure to press down and get it right to the edges.
~ Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes, then remove the foil and continue baking about 15 minutes more, until browned on top.
~ Allow the pie to rest for about 10 minutes before slicing and serving, ideally with gravy.

1 comment:

  1. I love your theme, especially since it's all ingredients you can get over here. I'm definitely going to give that lentil roast a try. And this pie recipe has opened my eyes to the existence of vegan Worcestershire sauce...how have I managed without it all these years?!

    ReplyDelete