Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Cream of Broccoli Soup

It's late February and everyone is tired of it. We haven't had an especially brutal winter here in New England (certainly compared to some recent ones), but by this point in the calendar people have had enough and are feeling a bit delicate. This afternoon I got a craving for cream of broccoli soup, which I haven't made in ages. I first cooked it as a teenager, using the recipe in Molly Kaizen's classic Moosewood Cookbook, and for years that was my go-to version. But when I looked it up I wasn't feeling it, and decided to just hit the kitchen, mess around, and see what happened. Fortunately I kept track of what I was doing so I could share it here, and I think you'll be happy I did when you make this soup!

Cream of Broccoli Soup
Ingredients
~ 3 tbsp. vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
~ 1 large yellow onion, chopped
~ 2 stalks celery, chopped
~ 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
~ 1 tsp. each: salt, white pepper
~ ½ tsp. turmeric
~ ¼ tsp. each: nutmeg, cayenne pepper
~ 2 tbsp. flour
~ 2 cups boiling water
~ 2 lbs. broccoli, chopped (fresh or frozen)
~ 6 cups plain, unsweetened soy milk, heated with 2 tbsp. "no chicken" bouillon (or other vegan bouillon, but I swear by this stuff)
~ 1 can cannellini or other white beans

Directions
~ In a large, deep pot, melt the butter and saute the onion over medium heat about 5 minutes,  until softened but not browned.
~ Add the celery and garlic and cook 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
~ Add the dry seasonings and the flour; stir well and cook for about a minute.
~ Pour in one cup of the boiling water and stir until the mixture thickens; repeat with the remaining water.
~ Add the chopped broccoli to the pot and stir to coat.
~ Pour in the milk/bouillon mixture and stir to combine. Cover the pot, raise the heat to high, and bring the mixture just to a boil.
~ Lower the heat to a simmer, crack the lid slightly, and cook for 20 minutes, until the broccoli is softened but not falling apart.
~ Add the cannellini beans (including their liquid), mix well, and cook another 5 minutes.
~ Remove from heat and puree with an immersion blender until completely smooth. Taste for seasoning and serve hot.

1 comment: